Thursday 30 July 2015

Being Blind Is Boring

I've had this mentioned to me a couple of time, and it's quite a common one really:

"Why don't you talk more about being blind?"

Well... Honestly? It's pretty boring. Like most disabilities I expect, it's just how my life is. Some time is spent adjusting and finding out new things every so often, but between those times I just live my life like everyone else. There's the occasional funny or awkward moment where I don't quite see something before I walk into it, or I grab the wrong thing or whatever, but otherwise it's mostly a matter of implementing my daily adaptations to make life easier.

I typically walk around my house with my hands out a little, so I don't walk into things too much. I tend to shuffle my feet more than take large steps so that I don't trip over things. When using my computer, I often have to zoom things in massively or invert the page and only see a tiny portion at a time, but honestly that's just normal for me.

So I guess the real answer is - to me it just seems extremely boring. I'll almost certainly be putting up some mroe information about being blind and some of the processes I'm going through - getting a guide dog, cane training, etc. But for the day-to-day, my disability is actually pretty dull.

Either way, I hope this answers some questions and doesn't make me seem too dreary a person. On request from a reader I'm going to try to put up a contact page of sorts so people can e-mail me if they like.

I did have a website up at http://blinddevelopment.co.uk for a while but I no longer have the funds or ability to host it, so I'll try to get one up on here in the meantime. I'm also going to put up a post later this week or over the weekend about what I'm currently doing, non-development related but hopefully interesting.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment